Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Random Ramblings on a Tuesday Morning

{NOTE: You no longer have to sign up to post comments on this blog. All comments will be reviewed prior to posting, but you do not need a google or gmail ID to post them. - Chris}

Yesterday when I posted my blog entry, around 9:30 a.m. central time, I had no idea that the topic I chose was going to become the theme of the day on ESPN. When I got home from work and flipped on "Pardon The Interruption" yesterday afternoon, I was amused to see the subject of "Best sporting event of 2008" as a message in their mailbag. Next thing I know, the same topic surfaces again in their final segment of the show, with hosts Bob Ryan and Michael Wilbon debating the merits of the Federer/Nadal match among the best events of the year. Neither agreed with me that the Super Bowl would be #1, but I'm not surprised as it's not nearly as fresh in our memory as Wimbledon or the U.S. Open.

Then hours later I tune in to SportsCenter to find that "Best sporting event of 2008" is a major topic, and in fact their poll question of the night was on that same topic. So what am I supposed to think? Of course they stole my idea. It's so obvious. So desperate are they for ideas, they have to steal them from lowly bloggers like myself. Shameful, really.

+++++

It's July 8th, do you know where your baseball team is?

In my lifetime I have been most closely associated to two cities: Denver, Colorado where I grew up and near where I went to college (Go Rams!) and Houston, Texas where I and much of my family resides. So naturally my preferred baseball teams are the Rockies (38-52) and the Astros (41-49). It's not easy to admit that right about now.

Yes, it may be true that the struggles only add to the sweetness of success. I will admit that the Rox incredible playoff and World Series run last year was that much more enjoyable because I had stuck with the team through all the losing seasons that were over by August. But you know what, there's also something to be said for having a team that you always believe is in contention. Just ask Red Sox or Yankees fans if they'd prefer their teams were terrible for the next 5 years before becoming good for a brief championship run. I think we all know what they'd say.

So to be sitting here on July 8th, with my favorite team (the Rockies) 14 games below .500 (but only 6.5 games back in the division!) and my second favorite team 8 games below .500 and in dead last (behind the Pirates!) in their division, is a little depressing.

Only 12 days until the earliest NFL training camps start opening. Go Broncos and Texans...

+++++

When is the right time for a sports team to officially decide to give up on a season and look towards the future? All 4 of the major sports in this country have a mid-season trading deadline (although that rarely affects anything in the NFL), but is this a good time to start thinking about rebuilding? Or should teams start earlier (see Cleveland Indians trading CC Sabathia) or hold on for a miracle run (see 2007 Rockies, 2005 Astros)?

Let me know what you think.

No comments: